2018 is in the books.
We’re going to break down the biggest stories on the Smashed Avocado of 2018,
But before we do we want to say thanks.
To all the young people who have been driving change with us, through surveys, events, sharing our stuff, writing to us, writing for us, and being members - THANK YOU.
You're the experts in your own lives. You know more than anyone else what's important to you and what is affecting your life. Sharing that expertise with us is what allows us to do what we do.
We’ve reached thousands, literally thousands, of people through this site - so thanks for being on the journey with us.
We really appreciate it.
You’ve been awesome.
Now. Let’s look back and what was in 2018 (so much happened that we’ve broken it down into categories).
Democracy and Politics
1. The State Election
2. What The Actual Heck Happened During #LibSpill?!
4. Don’t Let Yourself Not Vote In Council Elections
Young people driving change
5. Florida Students
Young people telling their story
7. Emily: Here’s What Jobactive Is Really Like
8. Caitlin: From Education To Unemployment
9. Emily: “Let Me Tell You About Work For The Dole”
10. Matt: 5 Struggles Of Regional Life for Young People
11. Riley: Sustainability - What’s It To You?
Unpacking the big stuff
12. Stop Blaming Young People For The Unemployment Crisis
13. Young People Are Changing The Game When It Comes To Democracy
How will the relationship between young people and politics impact elections moving forward, and what happens when young people use their political force to demand change during elections? Dive in and find out.
14. Sentencing Young People As Adults Won’t Make Us Safer
16. What You Need To Know About “The Religious Freedoms And Schools” Debate
This year there was a new push aimed towards allowing schools to discriminate against LGBTIQ+ students, on the grounds of religious freedoms. Find out what’s happening, how we got here, and YACSA’s take.
17. LGBTIQ+ Consultation
We’re doing a statewide consult of LGBTIQ+ young people to find out how services and systems can be improved. We’ve got a story up at the moment that unpacks some of the things we’ve heard, and links to the survey if you’re an LGBTIQ+ young person looking to participate!
Thanks again for the year.
We’ll see you all in 2019 - where there will be a Federal Election and plenty more to unpack with you.
Until then, we’re going to leave you with this video!